What is Github?
Github is a world largest git repository hosting service, that allows us to create and maintain repositories on their website also allows to integrate local repository with GitHub repository
Let me explain you in a simple way
Github is a free platform where you can publish your own code on it free but wait! you can’t make, your own code private on Github
Why do I say like that?
Because if you want to make our own code private then you have to pay GitHub
What is Git?
Git is a version control system(software) that maintains and stores information of each and every change made to the files and directories
There are two categories of VCs
- A centralized version control system (CVCs)
- A distributed version control system (DVCS)
Examples of CVCS: perforce (paid), CVS(open source), subversion(open source)
Examples of DVCS: mercurial (paid), git (open source)
Why developers should use it?
- Helps you to work with multiple developers to coordinate with a set of files
- A tool that tracks changes in the code
- Answer questions like, who made changes which line of code, what is the difference b/w the last month version and the current version, which code section is changed more often, how many lines of code changed compared to the previous release, this questions will be valuable to track bug
- It is better to use git, everything we do in source code control, phone number list, documentation, the procedure to build and release, even the blog text which I am writing
What is a repository?
The repository is a file record or a collection of source code hosted on a remote server, which can be accessed by privately or publicly
What is a client?
The software is used to communicate with the remote server
What is communication?
Communication means accessing the (reading/ writing files) of the repository.
How to use Git?
When we used git client as the bash terminal or a program like IntelliJ, Eclipse, or Android studio which will have a GUI to access repository or a project from the remote server
When did git is first launched?
Git was first launched in 2005 by Linus Torvalds